What Does an After Dinner Speech Do?
After-dinner speeches are usually the very last event in a conference of seminar – once all the formal presentations have been concluded and the final networking dinner has been eaten, an after dinner speaker ultimately creates a positive and entertaining send off for all the guests.
Rather than relying on PowerPoint and props, an after dinner speech relies entirely on wit, an understanding of the audience, and top-class delivery. There are no hand-outs or exercises – all of those have been completed earlier on in at the event. The purpose of the after dinner speech is to pull together the overall theme and send everybody home on high.
To say that an after dinner speech can make or break an event is probably stretching it. But it’s definitely one of the most memorable parts of it.
Are there any rules?
Given that this is probably the least formal type of speech, it’s easy to think that there are no rules for booking or guiding after dinner speakers beyond a cursory outline of what the event’s about. While a professional speaker can usually put something together that will resonate with your audience. It’s important to schedule properly and make sure that people are ready for the speech (rather than still chewing or nodding off).
- Choose well for the audience – the speaker and their experience needs to be relevant
- Try to schedule the speech for before 11pm – around 10pm is the sweet spot
- Let the speaker know about the company and event (in broad strokes)
- Expect some jokes and a little heckling – after all, everybody is enjoying themselves and relaxing a little compared to the rest of the day
- ‘Money’s worth’ is for the experience, not per word – brevity is important when entertaining guests after dinner. So these speeches usually last around 20 minutes or even less
Preparation is key to a successful speech – regardless of the timing or setting. In the words of Mark Twain, “It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech…”.
- ‘After Lunch Speaker’ at the Royal Opera House
- Motivational Speaker Los Angeles
- DIGGIT event, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- A Motivational Speaker in Bucharest Romania…
- RESPONSIBLY BEER from Shed Simove
- How a Post-it got me noticed at a speech in London…
- Speaker Sheet | Shed’s At A Glance Speaker Sheet
- Shed as a motivational speaker on creativity | Sales and marketing
- Motivational Speaker Kingston University, London
- How To Overcome Your Fear Of Public Speaking
- How To Use Standup Comedy To Engage Your Audience When Public Speaking
- How To Craft The Best Elevator For Your Business Or To Land A Job
- How To Make A Square Video
- These Top Networking Mistakes Will Guarantee You Won’t Get A Call Back
- Creative Solutions For Work-At-Home Productivity While Starting Your Business
- Careers That Make Great Springboards For Transitions To Entrepreneurship
- How I Drove Huge Global Media Exposure With A Simple Dating Idea
- Best Activities For Team Building In Las Vegas
- Why Some People Don’t Succeed In Life?
- 11 Tips to Improve Work and Life Balance in Los Angeles
- Top 10 Presentation Mistakes You Should Avoid At All Costs
- 3 New York Fortune 500 Companies Who Need Motivational Speaking To Get Them Through Tough Times
- 7 Ways This Entrepreneur Has Got Into Trouble & The Lessons That Boosted His Success
- How To Add Humor To Your Keynote Speaking Engagement
- 16 Different Types Of Keynote Speakers You Should Consider For Your Next Event
- How To Prepare For A Motivational Speaker At Your Conference
- ‘Make America Grate Again’ Grater Dares To Take On Trump’s Nutty Side
- How To Hire An Inspirational Speaker For Your Event
- A Motivational Speaker In Salzburg, Austria…
- On The Same Bill As Keynote Speaker Gary Vaynerchuk!
- How To Manage Toxic, Difficult People In Work And Life
- How To Change Someone’s Mind With Careful Persuasion
- Funny Public Speaking Topics To Win Over Your Audience
- How to Be A Confident Leader In Tense Situations
- How To Connect An Audience That Distrusts You & Change Their Minds
- Great Ideas Gone Viral & Done Right | Shinder Dating App Drives Massive Exposure & Girls Too!
- 6 Inspiring Product Launch Venue Ideas In Los Angeles They Will Never Forget
- Radical Creativity At Burning Man In Nevada Will Inspire You To Think Beyond The Box
- 8 Public Speaking Mistakes That Will Get You Fired in 5 Seconds Flat
- 9 Ways To Build Confidence In Business & Take On The Universe With Panache
- How To Give A Memorable & Inspiring Speech
- 8 Powerful Tips For Public Speaking Onstage
- Team Building Exercises In Los Angeles That Are Fun (or virtually anywhere)
- Great Things Entrepreneurs Can Learn By Attending Las Vegas Trade Shows & Seminar Talks
- How Los Angeles Startups Succeed On A Guerrilla Approach To Everyday Problems
- 4 Things Every Budding Entrepreneur Should Do After Arriving In Las Vegas
- Why Los Angeles Is The Driving Force Of Innovative Ideas
- How Watching Inspirational TED Talks Can Lead You To Become A Better Entrepreneur
- How To Become A Motivational Speaker
- Creativity is the new power! Knowledge is dead!
- How To Train Your Mind To Be Creative And Gain A Competitive Edge
- What Does an After Dinner Speech Do?
- A Motivational Speaker In Austin, Texas…
- How to Write a Popular Blog Post on Quora
- Looking For A Motivational Speaker?
- Why I Hate Business Cards
- How to Have Great Ideas…
- I’m Named a ‘Marketing God’!
- How to Think ‘Outside The Box’
- A Creativity Speaker In London…