Why I Hate Business Cards
Like everything I try to create, my business card has been designed to be different. I believe that when you differentiate what you’re doing from everyone else, you gain a competitive advantage.
Here’s my EGO Banknote business card – some people have said it’s the best business card in the world:
This business card may be memorable, but getting my details into your phone is tough…
And when I’m booked to give motivational speeches at conferences, I often receive dozens of traditional paper business cards. Even with OCR (optical character recognition) apps, these are still an utter chore to get into my mobile phone address book too.
So, to tackle this, I’ve created a new app that allows you to swap contact information with one tap of your phone. It’s called ‘tilt‘ and once you’ve created your digital business card on tilt, (which is even simpler and faster if you sign up through LinkedIn), you can swap contact information with someone by holding your phone up to theirs in order to capture the tilt QR Code. It’s simple, easy and fast…
The app called bump sold to Google for a reputed $30-60 million dollars and yet there’s been nothing since that has captured the market for swapping contact information digitally.
With tilt, it works even when you’re offline…
tilt WAS BUILT TO SOLVE A PROBLEM I ENCOUNTER EVERY DAY
I believe the business card is dead.
Like you I’m sure, I meet a lot of people in my professional and personal life. Over the years, I’ve been given (and received) many traditional 85mm x 55mm paper business cards. Instead of giving someone my paper business card or received theirs. I’ve always wished for the ability to instantly send my own contact card (vCard) with my correct. And full details on, right from my phone to theirs, with one tap.
I’ve also always disliked how, when I meet someone new. I often had to scribble a reminder note on the back of a paper business card about who they were and why I should contact them. And then I’d frequently simply ‘file’ their card into a fat business card book. Or bury it in a drawer – and promptly forget that card.
Note and person. Sure, I’ve used card scanning and photographing apps to get data from a business card into my phone’s address book (where it becomes searchable and actionable) but let’s face it: the process is cumbersome, slow.
And inaccurate. I’ve even tried typing – yes, I have!
So, I’m a frustrated user trying to help myself and others who meet people and with to connect easily and swiftly. Having been to many conferences as a motivational speaker. And worked in many offices, and gone to numerous parties (!). I know I’m not alone in the desire to have a wick and easy way to swap contact information. And that’s why I built tilt. Now, you don’t need to design, print and carry a physical business card, you can simply open tilt and swap your digital card in seconds… Why I Hate Business Cards
- ‘After Lunch Speaker’ at the Royal Opera House
- Motivational Speaker Los Angeles
- DIGGIT event, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- A Motivational Speaker in Bucharest Romania…
- RESPONSIBLY BEER from Shed Simove
- How a Post-it got me noticed at a speech in London…
- Speaker Sheet | Shed’s At A Glance Speaker Sheet
- Shed as a motivational speaker on creativity | Sales and marketing
- Motivational Speaker Kingston University, London
- How To Overcome Your Fear Of Public Speaking
- How To Use Standup Comedy To Engage Your Audience When Public Speaking
- How To Craft The Best Elevator For Your Business Or To Land A Job
- How To Make A Square Video
- These Top Networking Mistakes Will Guarantee You Won’t Get A Call Back
- Creative Solutions For Work-At-Home Productivity While Starting Your Business
- Careers That Make Great Springboards For Transitions To Entrepreneurship
- How I Drove Huge Global Media Exposure With A Simple Dating Idea
- Best Activities For Team Building In Las Vegas
- Why Some People Don’t Succeed In Life?
- 11 Tips to Improve Work and Life Balance in Los Angeles
- Top 10 Presentation Mistakes You Should Avoid At All Costs
- 3 New York Fortune 500 Companies Who Need Motivational Speaking To Get Them Through Tough Times
- 7 Ways This Entrepreneur Has Got Into Trouble & The Lessons That Boosted His Success
- How To Add Humor To Your Keynote Speaking Engagement
- 16 Different Types Of Keynote Speakers You Should Consider For Your Next Event
- How To Prepare For A Motivational Speaker At Your Conference
- ‘Make America Grate Again’ Grater Dares To Take On Trump’s Nutty Side
- How To Hire An Inspirational Speaker For Your Event
- A Motivational Speaker In Salzburg, Austria…
- On The Same Bill As Keynote Speaker Gary Vaynerchuk!
- How To Manage Toxic, Difficult People In Work And Life
- How To Change Someone’s Mind With Careful Persuasion
- Funny Public Speaking Topics To Win Over Your Audience
- How to Be A Confident Leader In Tense Situations
- How To Connect An Audience That Distrusts You & Change Their Minds
- Great Ideas Gone Viral & Done Right | Shinder Dating App Drives Massive Exposure & Girls Too!
- 6 Inspiring Product Launch Venue Ideas In Los Angeles They Will Never Forget
- Radical Creativity At Burning Man In Nevada Will Inspire You To Think Beyond The Box
- 8 Public Speaking Mistakes That Will Get You Fired in 5 Seconds Flat
- 9 Ways To Build Confidence In Business & Take On The Universe With Panache
- How To Give A Memorable & Inspiring Speech
- 8 Powerful Tips For Public Speaking Onstage
- Team Building Exercises In Los Angeles That Are Fun (or virtually anywhere)
- Great Things Entrepreneurs Can Learn By Attending Las Vegas Trade Shows & Seminar Talks
- How Los Angeles Startups Succeed On A Guerrilla Approach To Everyday Problems
- 4 Things Every Budding Entrepreneur Should Do After Arriving In Las Vegas
- Why Los Angeles Is The Driving Force Of Innovative Ideas
- How Watching Inspirational TED Talks Can Lead You To Become A Better Entrepreneur
- How To Become A Motivational Speaker
- Creativity is the new power! Knowledge is dead!
- How To Train Your Mind To Be Creative And Gain A Competitive Edge
- What Does an After Dinner Speech Do?
- A Motivational Speaker In Austin, Texas…
- How to Write a Popular Blog Post on Quora
- Looking For A Motivational Speaker?
- Why I Hate Business Cards
- How to Have Great Ideas…
- I’m Named a ‘Marketing God’!
- How to Think ‘Outside The Box’
- A Creativity Speaker In London…