If you want to know how to make a square video from a landscape video, then you’re not alone! I wanted this too!
WHY MAKE A SQUARE VIDEO ANYWAY?
Square videos, (1:1 ratio) that are posted on social media feeds like Facebook and Instagram have a much higher engagement than landscape videos (16:9 ratio).
Here are some stats:
- A square video takes up 78% more real estate in a person’s newsfeed than a landscape video. (Source: http://bit.ly/squarevideoproof)
- A recent study showed that view rates for square are 28 percent higher, and consumers are 67 percent more likely to complete square videos over landscape.(Source: http://bit.ly/sqaurevideoproof2)
HOW TO CREATE A SQUARE VIDEO WHEN YOU HAVE A RECTANGLE VIDEO
I only have basic knowledge of iMovie for video editing. Unfortunately, iMovie doesn’t let you output a perfectly square video. So, I searched Google for an online convertor that will convert my 16:9 video to a 1:1 without any loss of quality or resolution. Plus, I also wanted to be able to add text to the bars at the top of the bottom of my video, too.
Nothing. Nada. Nish.
So, how can you create a square shaped video from a landscape one? Especially without being an editing wizard and having high end editing software?
In the end, I ended up going onto the brilliant website, Fiverr. There, I found someone there with huge skills with Adobe Premiere. They then converted my landscape video to a square one, like this…
WHAT I WANT IN A ONLINE CONVERTER…
Many video software packages don’t allow you to create square (1:1) videos, they only allow you to output using 4:3 or 16:9. Facebook and Instagram both use square shaped videos, as does Linkedin now too.
I wanted a site that provides an online service where anyone can upload a video to the site (whether it be 16:9 or 4:3). The site would then placed this landscape video in the middle of a square window. Maybe it would allow the user to move the position up or down or zoom in on a part of their original video by setting crop margins. The user could then add text to it on the top and bottom bars. Or even change the colours of the bars too. The user can then preview and download this video, or post it to their Facebook or Instagram – or other social network.
I really want to be able to convert a video online from this 16:9 ratio:
To this 1:1 ratio with ‘bars’ above and below, and text on the bars, as so:
VIDEO SIZE AND RESOLUTION REMAINS THE SAME, IT SIMPLY HAS BARS (WITH TEXT) TOP AND BOTTOM ADDED
And of course, it must be super easy to post the finished video on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter or other suitable social networks.
Keeping the resolution the same is vital. If the original footage is HD, the output should also be in HD.
Must work on mobile too, with the ability to save the finished video to the camera roll.
It would be superb if this service would detect a portrait video. And allow that user to place bars and text (vertically) on the sides of that too. For example:
All in all, many of the major social networks have encouraged the use of square shaped videos. And content bundled in this way is far more likely, to be noticed, played and watched all the way through.
So, there’s a massive need for an online convertor in this field. It should easily allow the user to add bars and text to the top and bottom of a landscape 16:9 video.
WHAT CAN YOU DO IF SOMETHING YOU WANT DOESN’T EXIST?
In my keynote speeches, I’ll often talk about how an opportunity can come from a problem. And sometimes, if other people have the same problem as you, then you can create a a new business. This is a prime example. I feel the need for a web conversion site that easily changes a 16:9 video into a 1:1 video. So maybe other people might want that too!
Paul Graham, the founder of internet startup incubator ‘Y Combinator’ always says that one key to success is this: ‘Make something people want‘. And he’s a billionaire now, so maybe he has a point! And in this case, it’s provable that square shaped videos perform better than landscape ones, so why wouldn’t anyone want to make a square one?!
THE GENESIS OF A NEW IDEA
I have over six hundred ideas in my portfolio. I believe it’s VITALLY important to write ALL of your ideas down. And that’s no matter how bad you think they are at the time.
Firstly, by writing your ideas down (or even tapping them into your phone) your ideas won’t vanish into the ether. Your ideas are vlauble. Becasuse ideas + execution = adventure / success / fulfillment + money.
Second, frequently ideas that you might have thought were no good at the time may reveal a nugget of genius that you can tweak or expand into something amazing.
CONVERT A LANDSCAPE VIDEO TO A SQUARE ONE ONLINE
So, I think this need to create square sized videos simply is highly under provided at this time. So, I’m throwing this challenge out to any genius coders out there to take the reins and create this online converter for people around the world…
PLEASE GET IN TOUCH IF YOU’D LIKE TO BUILD THIS WITH ME!
- A Motivational Speaker in Bucharest, Romania…
- RESPONSIBLY Beer from Shed Simove
- How a Post-it got me noticed at a speech in London…
- Shed’s At A Glance Speaker Sheet
- Shed as a motivational speaker on creativity, sales and marketing for The Drum in London
- Motivational Speaker, Kingston University, London
- How To Overcome Your Fear Of Public Speaking
- How To Use Standup Comedy To Engage Your Audience When Public Speaking
- How To Craft The Best Elevator Pitch For Your Business Or To Land A Job
- How To Make A Square Video
- These Top Networking Mistakes Will Guarantee You Won’t Get A Call Back
- Creative Solutions For Work-At-Home Productivity While Starting Your Business
- Careers That Make Great Springboards For Transitions To Entrepreneurship
- How I Drove Huge Global Media Exposure With A Simple Dating Idea
- Best Activities For Team Building In Las Vegas
- Why Some People Don’t Succeed In Life
- 11 Tips to Improve Work and Life Balance in Los Angeles
- Top 10 Presentation Mistakes You Should Avoid At All Costs
- 3 New York Fortune 500 Companies Who Need Motivational Speaking To Get Them Through Tough Times
- 5+ Businesses In the Los Angeles Area That Could Benefit From A Keynote Speaker On Creativity, Sales, And Guerrilla Marketing
- 7 Ways This Entrepreneur Has Got Into Trouble & The Lessons That Boosted His Success
- How To Add Humor To Your Keynote Speaking Engagement
- 16 Different Types Of Keynote Speakers You Should Consider For Your Next Event
- How To Prepare For A Motivational Speaker At Your Conference
- ‘Make America Grate Again’ Grater Dares To Take On Trump’s Nutty Side
- How To Hire A Motivational Speaker For Your Event
- A Motivational Speaker In Salzburg, Austria…
- On The Same Bill As Keynote Speaker Gary Vaynerchuk!
- How To Manage Toxic, Difficult People In Work And Life
- How To Change Someone’s Mind With Careful Persuasion
- Funny Public Speaking Topics To Win Over Your Audience
- How to Be A Confident Leader In Tense Situations
- How To Connect An Audience That Distrusts You & Change Their Minds
- Shinder Dating App Drives Massive Exposure & Girls Too! Great Ideas Gone Viral & Done Right
- 6 Inspiring Product Launch Venue Ideas In Los Angeles They Will Never Forget
- Radical Creativity At Burning Man In Nevada Will Inspire You To Think Beyond The Box
- 8 Public Speaking Mistakes That Will Get You Fired in 5 Seconds Flat
- 9 Ways To Build Confidence In Business & Take On The Universe With Panache
- How To Give A Memorable & Inspiring Speech
- 8 Powerful Tips For Public Speaking Onstage
- How Your Failures Will Lead You To Greatness
- Team Building Exercises In Los Angeles That Are Fun (or virtually anywhere)
- Great Things Entrepreneurs Can Learn By Attending Las Vegas Trade Shows & Seminar Talks
- How Los Angeles Startups Succeed On A Guerrilla Approach To Everyday Problems
- 4 Things Every Budding Entrepreneur Should Do After Arriving In Las Vegas
- Why Los Angeles Is The Driving Force Of Innovative Ideas
- How Watching Inspirational TED Talks Can Lead You To Become A Better Entrepreneur
- How To Become A Motivational Speaker
- Knowledge is dead! Creativity is the new power!
- How To Train Your Mind To Be Creative And Gain A Competitive Edge
- What Does an After Dinner Speech Do?
- A Motivational Speaker In Austin, Texas…
- How to Write a Popular Blog Post on Quora
- Looking For A Motivational Speaker?
- Why I Hate Business Cards
- How to Have Great Ideas…
- I’m Named a ‘Marketing God’!
- How to ‘Think Out Of The Box’
- A Motivational Speaker In London…